In 1881 University College, Dundee, Scotland was founded as an independent academic institution for ‘promoting the education of persons of both sexes and the study of Science, Literature and the Fine Arts’. Soon after, in 1897 University College became part of the University of St Andrews.
In 1954, resulting from constitutional changes within the University of St Andrews, University College, with the gracious consent of Her Majesty the Queen, was renamed Queen’s College.
In 1966, on the basis of recommendations made by the Advisory Committee, the University Court and the Council of Queen’s College submitted a joint petition to the Privy Council seeking the grant of a Royal Charter to establish the University of Dundee. This petition was approved and, in terms of the Charter, Queen’s College became the University of Dundee on the first of August 1967.
The University has seen many changes since it became an independent institution in 1967, but the fundamental aim remains. That is to: “transform lives locally and globally through the creation, sharing and application of knowledge.”
Today, the University of Dundee reflects this aim in many ways: