University of Dundee
Stafford Global – University of Dundee Partnership
In 1881 University College, Dundee, Scotland was founded as an independent academic institution for ‘promoting the education of persons of both sexes and the study of Science, Literature and the Fine Arts’. Soon after, in 1897 University College became part of the University of St Andrews. In 1966, the University Court and the Council of Queen’s College submitted a joint petition to the Privy Council seeking the grant of a Royal Charter to establish the University of Dundee. This petition was approved and on the first of August 1967.
The University of Dundee has seen many changes since it became an independent institution in 1967, but the fundamental aim remains. That is to: “transform lives locally and globally through the creation, sharing and application of knowledge.”
Today, the University reflects this aim in many ways:
- excelling in teaching and research;
- contributing to the social, economic and cultural life of Scotland and the wider world;
- shaping the future by solving important real-world problems.
Awards and Rankings
- Education at Dundee is ranked in the world’s top 150 (QS World University Rankings)
- Ranked joint 1st in the UK for Medicine – Complete University Guide 2021
- Education is ranked 3rd in the UK, Complete University Guide, 2019
- Rated 3rd in the UK for quality of teaching
- The University of Dundee is 14th in the UK for the proportion of its graduates finding high skilled employment
- The University of Dundee is one of the UK’s top 30 in The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019
- One of only 12 in the United Kingdom to also hold a Gold Award in the Teaching Excellence Framework awarded in 2017. The ranking places Dundee among an elite group of British universities licensed to use the TEF Gold Award for the next three years.
- The University of Dundee has been ranked 11th in the UK for student experience, and 4th in Scotland. This is the fourth successive year in they have achieved a Top 10 result – National Student Survey 2020
- Ranked 29th in The Guardian University Guide, 2019
- The University of Dundee has recorded one of the highest scores in the latest International Student Barometer (ISB) 2019. An overall average satisfaction of 89.1% among Dundee students, the highest score of any participating Scottish universities, 4th in the UK and 14th globally