PGCE Postgraduate Certificate in Education (International)
The PGCE Postgraduate Certificate in Education (International) is a part-time, distance learning PGCE (International) course aimed at professional teacher and educators working in countries other than the UK. It is a Level 7 academic qualification on the UK National Qualifications Framework and is relevant to all subjects, phases and curricula. The PGCE (International) focuses on improving individual teaching practice through research and critical reflection. Compare teaching approaches from different countries and evolve a global approach to teaching and education.
In addition to online modules, this PGCE (International) course also comprises of face-to-face workshops, hosted by fly-in professors from the University of Nottingham. At the PGCE (International) workshop students get the opportunity to meet their Nottingham tutor as well as fellow students from the same cohort.
Please note, that the PGCE (International) is an academic qualification. As it is not a teaching qualification, it does not confer the Qualified Teacher Status in the UK.
Important notice: For health and safety reasons, Virtual workshops with UK University faculty and online tutor sessions will be used in the interim, until the current situation stabilises.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to check with their relevant authorities in their country that this programme meets their professional needs
After completing the PGCE (International), graduates will have improved their teaching methods by building new ideas and strategies tested out in their own classrooms. More specifically, the programme aims to train teachers by:
- helping teachers understand their education system from an international perspective
- enabling teachers to become conversant with the basic assumptions, concepts, and principles of a range of learning theories and to evaluate their usefulness in specific educational situations
- promoting a deeper understanding of a range of teaching strategies
- developing expertise in practitioner research, making appropriate use of professional and research literature
Our graduates tell us that the PGCE (International) has been an aid to promotion, and a useful qualification for those wanting to enhance their CV prior to applying for a new teaching position.
Teaching Assistants wanting to become full-time teachers, teachers looking to work abroad in international schools would benefit greatly from this degree.
Applicants are required to:
- Be an established educator with day-to-day access to a computer and the internet and regular connections to an educational context (including online learning)
- Be committed to developing their teaching and learning skills in the field of education;
- Be graduates of an approved university or other institution of higher education;
- Hold at least a second-class Honours degree; or be holders of an approved professional qualification deemed equivalent to an Honours degree;
- Applicants for whom English is not their first language, nor the medium of instruction of their first degree in approved contexts, must have achieved a British Council IELTS average final score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in any element no more than two years prior to admission;
- Applicants with lesser qualifications may be considered for ‘exceptional entry’. If you do not meet these requirements you may enquire about a non-standard entry.
Modules covered on the programme include:
- Educational aims and values in international contexts
- Understanding learning and teaching in international contexts
- Inquiring into educational practice in international contexts
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Course Fee Click to View
- Start Date March 2022
- Application Deadline 28 Jan 2022
- Duration 12 months
- Study Mode Distance Learning
- Assessments Assignments
- Students 0