Masters in International Education (Distance Learning MA)
The Masters in International Education studies offers teachers, school managers and educators within the education sector a unique opportunity to reflect upon their own practice and to enhance their knowledge.
The Masters in International Education offers students 5 specialisations/pathways, thus providing them with an opportunity with to enhance their understanding of contemporary educational issues in the primary, secondary and post-compulsory education.
The programme consists of 2 core and 2 optional modules, followed by a dissertation to successfully earn the Masters in International Education. The modules are assessed through written assignments, presentations or project work, depending on the particular module.
The programme aims to enhance your understanding of contemporary educational issues, including the influence of culture on teaching, on a national and international level.
Students will reflect on theory in the area of teaching and learning and use it as the basis for understanding and improving practice.
Graduates will develop the ability to undertake small scale research, and gain a better understanding of ethical principles which underpin the design, conduct and reporting of educational research
Upon successful completion of the programme, graduates not only enhance their knowledge, but go on to gain promotion in their existing organisation and even move on to more senior or challenging careers.
- Graduates will acquire the research skills appropriate for transfer/access to advanced social research at doctoral level and can enrol on to a Doctorate level programme.
A UK Honours degree at 2:2 class or above
Or its equivalent from a non-UK university e.g. GPA 3 (US equivalent) or above
Applicants will need to demonstrate a minimum of two years experience (not necessarily consecutive) in a professional role (paid or unpaid) as an educator. Applications are welcome from those involved in education at the primary, secondary or tertiary level, as well as those working within other organisations, for example, government, NGOs, museums and galleries.
If your first language is not English you will need to satisfy the University’s English language requirements.
Contemporary Issues in International Education
This module explores developments in educational policy and practice with references to several countries. It provides you with the opportunity to engage with research and evaluations of these developments. You will cover key national and international developments in current and emerging educational policy and practice, and examine and evaluate social scientific research evidence relevant to these developments. By the end of the module, you will be able to:
- Identify key national and international trends in current and developing educational policy and practice
- Develop an analytical understanding of some of the major theoretical underpinnings of international trends in educational policy development and practice
- Examine and evaluate social scientific research evidence relevant to these developments
Introduction to Research Methods in Education
This module provides you with a critical introduction to some of the principal methods in educational research by identifying research issues relevant to your experiences, and considering appropriate methods of investigating them. You will:
- Develop an understanding of what it means to ‘critically engage’ with research evidence and theory
- Explore the basic principles and concepts of educational research
- Construct research using a range of research approaches such as surveys, case studies, and action research
- Study the practical development and use of tools and skills such as questionnaires, interviews etc
- Develop skills in understanding and interpreting qualitative and quantitative research data
You will be able to choose one of the five pathways so that you can specialise in the subject that interests you the most. Each pathway includes two modules – the lead module and a specialist study module.
- Pathway 1: Leadership for Social Justice in Education: Lead Module and Leadership for Social Justice in Education: Specialist Study
- Pathway 2: Pedagogy: Lead Module and Pedagogy: Specialist Study
- Pathway 3: Innovation and Reform: Lead Module and Innovation and Reform: Specialist Study
- Pathway 4: Inclusion and Special Educational Needs and Inclusion and Special Educational Needs: Specialist Study
- Pathway 5: Learning Technologies 1: Technology-Enhanced Learning and Learning Technologies 2: Learning Design for the 21st Century
Modules shown represent choices available to current students. The range of modules available and the content of any individual module may change in future years.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Course Fee Click to View
- Start Date Oct 2022
- Application Deadline 19 Sept 2022
- Duration 2 years
- Study Mode Distance Learning
- Assessments Assignments
- Students 0