What is Public Health?
Public Health is the science of disease prevention, focused on improving the health and quality of life of communities and large populations. This is accomplished by identifying the threats and factors that contribute to a population’s health, analysing their impact and taking measures to mitigate or enhance these effects. The ‘Health’ component in relation to Public Health, includes not only physical health, but also psychological health and social well-being.
What does Public Health involve?
- Researching infectious diseases to help create preventative policies and measures
- When outbreaks happen, create response strategies to minimise the spread and impact of infectious diseases
- Promote healthy lifestyles by creating policies that boost good habits in local communities or on a national level
- Research roadblocks and challenges faced by populations that limit access to affordable healthcare, finding solutions to these issues.
What is a Masters in Public Health Degree?
A Masters in Public Health teaches practical and theoretical skills required by every professional in his field; critical analysis, different types of research methods, how to write reports, how to search for supporting literature and more. The course is designed to help both novice and expert healthcare professional gain a deeper comprehension of public health approaches and policies, which they can use to make a positive impact on communities and individuals.
Topics normally covered in this degree;
- Identify the determinants of health
- Learn to design and evaluate health policies and programs
- Identify the advantages and disadvantages of a range of sources of finance for funding
- Research methods, research study design, critical and analysis methods, among others
- Understand the key theories of policy and how it is constructed and implemented across different sectors and levels
- Explore the sociological approaches of the relationships between society, healthcare, health and illness
- Critically evaluate patterns of disease and health and disease as it varies by gender, age, ethnicity, geography and more.
Stafford offers an Online Masters in Public Health at a Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma and a Full Masters level. Speak to a Higher Education Consultant for a personal consultation, or view all available Healthcare Degrees